STRENGTH OF MATERIALS by R.S.Khurmi,N.Khurmi
Strength of Materials : Mechanics Of Solids (SI Units) covers the subject thoroughly for students doing professional engineering courses, and for those preparing for engineering job recruitment exams.
Summary Of The Book
Strength of materials is the study of the behavior of objects under stress. This field of study finds special application in construction engineering. Builders have to plan for the interactions of the construction materials with forces acting on them.Strength of Materials : Mechanics Of Solids (SI Units)introduces the study of the strength of materials. It then discusses the different types of stresses and strains acting on an object. The book looks at Strains and Stresses In Various Situations and on various construction materials, like Strains on Bars.
The book focuses on other concepts like Thermal Stresses, Strain Energy and Impact Loading, Principal Stresses and Strains, Perfect Frames, Elastic Constants, Moment of Inertia, Bending Stresses, and Shear Force. It also goes into topics such as Deflection of Beams and Cantilevers, Bending and Direct Stresses, Retaining Walls, Shearing Stresses in Beams, and Deflection by Conjugate Beam and Moment Area Method.
The book also discusses the properties of Fixed Beams, Propped Beams and Cantilevers, Springs, Riveted and Welded Joints, and Columns and Struts.Strength of Materials : Mechanics Of Solids (SI Units)then explains Three Moments Theorem, Circular Shaft Torsion, and Moment Distribution Method. The book also focuses on Spherical and Cylindrical Shells and provides an overview of the subject of Reinforced Concrete.
About R. S. Khurmi
R. S. Khurmi is an experienced teacher and writer. His other textbooks includeMechanical Engineering, Principles Of Electronic Devices & Circuits, A Textbook Of Hydraulics, Applied Mechanics and Strength Of Materials, Fluid Mechanics And Hydraulic Mechanics, Theory of Machines, A Textbook of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning,andA Textbook Of Applied Mechanics.
R. S. Khurmi began his career as an engineer working for the Punjab Irrigation Department. Later, he started writing academic textbooks. His carefully written textbooks that closely followed the academic syllabus became popular and he has written a lot of books on many technical subjects. UNESCO has ranked him among the leading writers of textbooks for engineering in Asia.
Table of Contents
- Simple Stresses and Strains
- Stresses and Strains in Bars of Varying Sections
- Stresses and Strains in Statically Indeterminate Structures
- Thermal Stresses and Strains
- Elastic Constants
- Principal Stresses and Strains
- Strain Energy and Impact Loading
- Moment of Inertia
- Analysis of Perfect Frames (Analytical Method)
- Analysis of Perfect Frames (Graphical Method)
- Bending Moment and Shear Force
- Bending Stresses in Simple Beams
- Shearing Stresses in Beams
- Direct and Bending Stresses
- Dams and Retaining Walls
- Deflection of Beams
- Deflection of Cantilevers
- Deflection by Moment Area Method
- Deflection by Conjugate Beam Method
- Propped Cantilevers and Beams
- Fixed Beams
- Theorem of Three Moments
- Moment Distribution Method
- Torsion of Circular Shafts
- Riveted Joints
- Welded Joints
- This Cylindrical and Spherical Shells
- Columns and Struts
- Introduction to Reinforced Concrete